Trump says he’ll ‘hold off’ on attacking Iran on Tuesday but tells military to be ready ‘on a moment’s notice’

Trump Delays Iran Attack Plan Amid Regional Diplomacy

Trump says he ll hold off – President Donald Trump announced on Monday that he would delay a planned military strike on Iran, initially set for Tuesday, following appeals from leaders in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. The decision came as talks to resolve the ongoing conflict intensified, with Trump emphasizing that the negotiations had entered a more “serious” phase. Despite the pause, the president made it clear that his administration remains prepared to launch a comprehensive assault on Iran at any time, should an agreement fail to materialize.

Strategic Readiness and Conditional Plans

During a press briefing at the White House, Trump reiterated his directive to the military, instructing them to stay on high alert for potential action. “We are not going to proceed with the attack tomorrow,” he stated, “but the military must be ready to act on a moment’s notice.” This cautious approach reflects a balance between diplomatic optimism and the readiness to escalate hostilities. Trump highlighted that the Gulf states, along with other regional allies, had expressed confidence in the possibility of a deal that could satisfy U.S. interests and those of its Middle Eastern partners.

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” Trump declared in his Truth Social post, underscoring a key condition for any resolution. The president’s commitment to preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear capabilities remains steadfast, even as he temporarily halts the attack plan.

Trump described the current situation as “a little bit different” from previous instances when he believed Iran was nearing a compromise. “It’s a very positive development, but we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything,” he added, acknowledging that while past negotiations had shown promise, this round carries unique stakes. The delay, he noted, was requested by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE, which asked for a brief reprieve to continue discussions. However, Trump hinted that the pause might extend beyond a few days, depending on the progress of talks.

READ  Pentagon makes flu shot optional for troops, rescinding requirement

According to a source familiar with the plan, Trump had already finalized the attack options with his senior military advisors before the Gulf states intervened. The list of potential targets was compiled, though specifics were not disclosed. This strategic flexibility allows the administration to reassess the situation while maintaining operational readiness. The president emphasized that the delay does not signal a retreat from military action, but rather a calculated pause to explore diplomatic avenues.

“I was called by these three countries, plus others, and they’re dealing directly with our people,” Trump told CNN’s Kristen Holmes. “Right now, Iran is in talks, and there seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy.”

While the pause provides a window for diplomacy, Trump’s red lines remain unyielding. He has consistently maintained that Iran must agree to halt nuclear enrichment and cede its stockpile of near-weapons-grade uranium to satisfy U.S. demands. The latest proposal from Iran, delivered via Pakistani mediators, was seen as a step toward addressing these concerns, though American officials were skeptical about its adequacy. The back-and-forth between the two sides has not yet resolved the core disagreements, with Trump reiterating that “the clock is ticking” for a final agreement.

Historical Context and Current Challenges

Earlier this month, Trump had already extended the ceasefire, a move he attributed to internal divisions within Iran’s leadership. On April 21, he postponed the strike, citing the need for a unified proposal from Tehran. However, this delay has since been compounded by the Gulf states’ latest intervention. The current pause, according to a person close to the administration, reflects a combination of strategic patience and the desire to avoid a premature escalation that could destabilize the region.

READ  Exclusive: Justice Department removes lead prosecutor from probe of Trump critic John Brennan

Despite the temporary hold, the conflict has continued to weigh on domestic priorities. Gas prices have risen sharply, and Trump’s economic approval ratings have suffered as a result of the prolonged engagement. The president’s frustration with the negotiations has grown, particularly as the talks have progressed slowly. “The halting pace of negotiations has tested our patience,” a senior advisor remarked, highlighting the tension between diplomatic efforts and the urgency of military action.

Iran’s most recent offer, which addressed some U.S. concerns about its negotiating stance, included concessions on nuclear enrichment but left critical issues unresolved. The proposal, according to officials, did not sufficiently address Trump’s demands for Iran to hand over its near-weapons-grade uranium stockpile. This lack of compromise has kept the president from committing to a full-scale assault, even as he prepares for potential rapid deployment.

International Pressure and Domestic Implications

Trump’s decision to delay the attack has drawn mixed reactions. While the Gulf states see it as a chance to strengthen their regional alliance, some analysts argue that the pause could embolden Iran’s position. “This is a strategic gamble,” said one Middle East expert, “but it also gives the administration time to pressure Iran further.” The president has already called for a “full, large scale assault” if the negotiations fail, signaling his willingness to use military force as a last resort.

The broader implications of the pause extend beyond Iran. With the war now in its third month, the economic strain on the U.S. has become more pronounced. Rising fuel costs, supply chain disruptions, and global market volatility have all been linked to the ongoing conflict. Trump’s campaign team has faced criticism for not providing clearer economic solutions, but the president has defended his approach, stating that the military delay is a necessary step toward long-term stability.

READ  Mamdani and Obama meet face-to-face in New York City

As the White House prepares for further discussions, Trump has emphasized that his leadership team is keeping all options on the table. “I have instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Daniel Caine, and the U.S. Military to be fully prepared,” he said in his Monday post. This multi-pronged strategy ensures that the administration can respond swiftly to any developments, whether through diplomacy or direct action. The stakes remain high, with the potential for either a breakthrough or a renewed offensive shaping the future of the conflict.

Iran’s continued refusal to make significant concessions has left Trump in a precarious position. While the Gulf states remain hopeful, the president has also received calls from other nations requesting a similar pause in attacks. These external pressures underscore the complex web of alliances and interests that influence the U.S. approach to the crisis. The military’s readiness, however, remains a constant, ensuring that the option of force is always within reach.

With the ceasefire extended and the negotiations ongoing, the international community watches closely for any signs of progress. Trump’s ability to balance diplomatic engagement with military preparedness will be critical in determining the outcome of this pivotal moment. Whether the pause leads to a lasting agreement or a resumption of hostilities, the decisions made in the coming days will have far-reaching consequences for the region and the global order.