Trump and Netanyahu diverge on Iran war’s future in tense phone call

Trump and Netanyahu Diverge on Iran War’s Future in Tense Phone Call

Trump and Netanyahu diverge on Iran – President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu engaged in a high-stakes exchange on Tuesday, reflecting their contrasting strategies for dealing with Iran, according to a U.S. official. The conversation, which took place just days after their previous discussion on Sunday, revealed growing friction between the two leaders over the direction of the ongoing conflict. The U.S. official noted that Trump had previously expressed confidence in launching new targeted strikes against Iran, an operation expected to be named Operation Sledgehammer, as CNN has previously reported. However, within 24 hours of that initial agreement, Trump announced a decision to pause the planned attacks, citing pressure from Gulf allies such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

The halt in military action has sparked concern among Israeli officials, who have long championed a more aggressive approach to countering Iran’s influence. Netanyahu, according to the U.S. official, voiced his disappointment during the Tuesday call, arguing that the delay would only give Iran time to strengthen its position. “Delaying the attacks is a mistake,” the prime minister reportedly said, urging Trump to stick with the original plan. This sentiment has been echoed by Israeli sources, who described the frustration within the Israeli government over what they see as a slow-moving U.S. strategy. The divergence in their positions became starkly evident during the hour-long dialogue, with Netanyahu pushing for renewed strikes and Trump emphasizing the need for diplomatic engagement.

Despite Netanyahu’s insistence, Trump remained focused on securing a deal with Iran, as he stated on Wednesday. “We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens,” the president told reporters, hinting at the possibility of a breakthrough. Yet, he also warned that if negotiations fail, more “nasty” actions might be necessary. “We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” Trump added, leaving room for escalation if diplomatic efforts stall. This balance between diplomacy and military readiness has been a hallmark of the administration’s approach, with Trump repeatedly signaling that force remains an option if progress is not made.

READ  Pope Leo’s target is bigger than Trump. He’s rebuking the ‘MAGA Jesus’

The shift in strategy has drawn criticism from Israeli officials, who believe the delay in strikes is detrimental to their national security goals. “Netanyahu has been clear that time is on Iran’s side,” said an Israeli source, highlighting the prime minister’s frustration with the U.S. decision to hold back. The tension was palpable during the Tuesday conversation, with Netanyahu reportedly pressuring Trump to resume operations. “He’ll do whatever I want him to do,” the president claimed later, suggesting his authority over the Israeli leader. However, the Israeli official’s comments indicated that Netanyahu’s influence remains significant, as he continued to advocate for a more immediate response to Iran’s activities.

While the U.S. and Israel have differing priorities in the conflict, their partnership has been strained by the recent developments. The Israeli government has expressed a strong desire for renewed military action, according to a source close to the prime minister, and has grown increasingly impatient with what it perceives as Iran’s diplomatic inaction. The ongoing negotiations, which have involved close coordination with Gulf nations and Pakistani mediators, have not yet resolved key issues such as Iran’s nuclear program and its frozen assets. These unresolved concerns have kept the situation in limbo, with the U.S. and its allies working to build a framework that could lead to a long-term agreement.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson confirmed that Tehran and Washington have maintained communication through diplomatic channels, including Pakistan. However, the spokesperson added that Iran has not softened its core demands, and the gap between the two sides remains wide. “We’re all ready to go,” Trump reiterated on Wednesday, emphasizing that military action is still a viable option if negotiations do not yield results. The president’s comments underscored his determination to maintain pressure on Iran, even as he allowed for the possibility of diplomatic resolution. “If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly,” he said, a sentiment that has resonated with allies and adversaries alike.

READ  Why President Trump extended his ceasefire with Iran

The conflict’s trajectory has been a subject of debate since the initial discussions between Trump and Netanyahu. On Sunday, the president had outlined his plans for new strikes, which he described as a “big move” in the fight against Iran. But by Tuesday, the U.S. had agreed to a temporary pause, influenced by the Gulf nations’ request to avoid further escalation. This decision, while strategic for the administration, has raised questions about its impact on regional stability and Israel’s security interests. “The delay is not just a tactical pause—it’s a political gamble,” said an analyst, noting the potential risks of prolonged talks.

Netanyahu’s frustration with the U.S. approach has been well-documented, with sources inside the Israeli government expressing concern over Trump’s willingness to negotiate. “We’re worried that the president is prioritizing diplomacy over decisive action,” one Israeli official explained. This sentiment is echoed by Israeli analysts, who argue that Iran’s continued expansion of its nuclear capabilities and support for groups like Hezbollah necessitate a more aggressive response. The prime minister’s determination to push forward with military strikes has been a consistent theme in his public statements, even as he sought to align with the U.S. on the broader strategic goal of weakening Iran.

As the talks continue, the White House has maintained a cautiously optimistic stance, with Trump claiming that the situation is “right on the borderline” between diplomacy and military intervention. “I’m giving it a few more days,” the president said, “if it saves lives, that’s the goal.” However, the Israeli government remains skeptical, with some officials warning that Iran may exploit the delay to consolidate its power. The upcoming weeks will be critical in determining whether the two leaders can reconcile their differences or if the conflict will intensify. “We need to act before Iran gains too much ground,” said an Israeli source, underscoring the urgency of the situation.

READ  Democrat Betty Yee exits California governor’s race

News of the tense phone call was first reported by Axios, which highlighted the growing rift between the U.S. and Israeli leaders. The White House has since acknowledged the differing perspectives, with Trump’s administration emphasizing the importance of securing a lasting agreement. “We’re in the final stages of Iran,” the president reiterated, while Netanyahu’s team has been vocal in their dissatisfaction with the U.S. decision to hold off on strikes. This divergence has created a delicate situation, with both sides navigating the complex dynamics of alliances and national interests.

With the Gulf nations and Pakistan acting as intermediaries, the negotiations have entered a new phase. The White House and Israeli officials have been working closely with these partners to craft a compromise that addresses both sides’ concerns. However, the process has not been without challenges, as Iran has remained steadfast in its demands. “They’re not backing down,” a regional source said, describing the persistence of Tehran’s position. The outcome of these discussions will depend on whether the U.S. can convince Iran to make concessions, or if the threat of military action will be the only way to secure progress.

“He’ll do whatever I want him to do.” — President Donald Trump

The exchange between Trump and Netanyahu has reignited debates about the future of the Iran war, with each leader representing distinct priorities. For Trump, the emphasis is on using diplomacy to achieve a long-term resolution, while Netanyahu sees military action as the most effective tool to pressure Iran. This split in strategy has created a tense atmosphere in the White House, with advisors divided over the best path forward. As the talks continue, the balance between aggression and negotiation will remain central to the conflict’s resolution, with the world watching closely for the next move.